The massive shift to mobile prompted venture investors to pour billions into mobile-first startups in 2013. And based on the data, one of the more promising mobile tech ecosystems appears to be growing in Los Angeles county.
Buoying the growth in LA mobile VC financing are a host of emerging mobile companies. In fact, venture capital funding to LA-based mobile startups grew by over 4x in 2013 compared to 2011. Meanwhile, mobile startups took nearly 1 in every 5 tech VC deals in LA in the past year.
Since 2012, there have been just under 50 mobile deals with the participation of a VC investor and so it is still early days in the growth of LA’s mobile startup scene.
Interestingly, the most active investor in unique LA mobile startups since 2009 is not a local firm but New York-based early stage fund Founder Collective, which has invested in companies including Pose and Burstly. The top 10 most active VC investors in LA mobile companies are highlighted below.
For more Los Angeles venture capital financing trends and investor league tables, download the entire 100-page Los Angeles Tech Venture Capital Almanac.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity