There are over 2600 U.S.-based private companies with a mobile app in the iTunes App Store that have raised ≤$25M in total funding. How many of them rank highly?
Just 2% are publishers of an app ranked among the top 1000 overall apps.
The obvious application of this data for investors is to identify capital-efficient mobile app publishers, i.e. those who’ve raised a small amount of money but are highly ranked. (Yes – $25M is a lot of money but we live in heady times)
The chart below using mobile app data from CB Insights performance metrics maps funding vs rank. It only looks at the companies who’ve raised less than $25 million.
The Mobile Outperformers
Below are five notable apps on the list. The full list of mobile outperformer companies can be found on the ‘Research’ tab, after logging in to CB Insights.
- This research is only available to subscribers with access to CB Insider. All of the company app data in this analysis comes from the ‘Performance’ tab on the company’s profile. This available to CB Insights subscribers in the Division or greater subscription plans.
- Visualizations were taken directly from the company’s ‘Performance Metrics’ tab.
Total funding raised: $11.5M
Select investors: Doll Capital Management, Azure Capital Partners, RenRen
Overall app store rank: Top 15
Total funding raised: $3.4M
Select investors: Founders Fund, Accel Partners, Felicis Ventures
Overall app store rank: Top 40
Total funding raised: $13.3M (rumored to be raising additional financing now)
Select investors: Menlo Ventures, Baseline Capital, Anthos Capital
Overall app store rank: Top 150
Total funding raised: $2.5M (rumored to be raising additional round now)
Select investors: Trinity Ventures, CRV
Overall app store rank: ~Top 100
Total funding raised: $350K
Select investors: Alan Walrms, James Crouthamel
Overall app store rank: ~Top 250
The full list of mobile outperformer companies can be found on the ‘Research’ tab, after logging in to CB Insights. Note: This research is only available to subscribers with access to CB Insider. All of the company app data in this analysis comes from the ‘Performance’ tab on the company’s profile. For CB Insights subscribers in the Division or greater subscription plans, the specific company search for this analysis is available here (add ‘Best Rank Overall’ column and filter).
Overall App Store ranks were taken as of 9/29/2014. The analysis included U.S.-based private tech companies with a published mobile app that had raised ≤$25M from investors and had raised at least one round on or after 1/1/2009. Bootstrapped startups were not included.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity