Venture capital funding and deal activity to mobile companies in Q3'13 saw its highest quarterly totals in history. 500 Startups leads the most active mobile investors in 2013 to date.
Last quarter, venture capital investors deployed $1.12B to U.S. mobile-related companies, making Q3’13 the biggest VC financing quarter in history for the Mobile & Telecom sector.
In addition to a record amount of VC investment, Q3 also saw the highest number of mobile deals in a quarter ever. In fact, it was the first time that mobile VC deal share eclipsed that of the healthcare sector. As shown in the chart below, mobile funding and deals have grown steadily over the past three quarters, after coming close to breaking the $1B mark in Q3’12.
With mobile technology quickly becoming one of the primary ways we get online, Q3’13 saw venture investors seek out investments in a wide range of technologies across the mobile ecosystem. The three most heavily invested mobile sub-industries by deal share were customer relationship management, business intelligence and payment technologies which combined to take nearly 1 in every 5 mobile VC deals in Q3.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity