North America (largely driven by the United States) has led all other continents in $100M+ equity financings to tech companies over the past few years (excluding PE rounds). But things are changing. Thus far in 2015, there have been 35 $100M+ rounds in Asia, more than North America’s 32 and Europe’s 8.
Overall 2015 is on pace to smash multi-year highs for nine-figure rounds. In just over 4 months, there have been 75 from the three largest tech continents, versus 107 in all of 2014.
Thus far in 2015, North America is slightly ahead in total funding from $100M+ rounds, buoyed by two $1B+ rounds of financing to Uber. Asia, despite a slew of large eCommerce rounds, currently sits at just over $7B in funding, while Europe lags behind at $1.6B, a third of which comes from Delivery Hero’s $563M investment from Rocket Internet.
Want more data around nine-figure tech financings? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity