M&A deal activity in the medical device industry grows 36% YoY. Almost 9% of the private medical device M&A exits have seen valuations of more than $1 billion.
In anticipation of the release of our Private Medical Device Company M&A report , we wanted to share some high-level stats prior to its general release.
Since 2011, 247 private medical device companies have been acquired, and activity appears to be picking up based on recent M&A deals levels. In the trailing four quarters (Q2’12 to Q1’13), there have been 129 private medical device companies acquired versus 95 in the prior four quarters (Q2’11 to Q1’12) highlighting 36% growth YoY.
As these are private medical device companies acquisitions, valuations are not universally provided, but we pick up on both rumored and real valuations and identified 87 transactions over the time period with valuations. Over a third of these companies were valued between $0 – 50M at the time of acquisition, while 8.1% of companies were acquired for more than $1 billion.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity