McDonald’s (NYSE: MCD, Mkt. Cap: $92.6B) recent earnings report disappointed investors, as earnings dropped 21% in Q4, and customer traffic fell 4.1% in the US. They cited their menu as being a large driver of this slump, as consumer tastes have shifted towards healthier options.
This trend is one that has taken over the restaurant industry, as more cutting-edge “fast casual” concepts like Chipotle continue to increase market share, leading to an overall 550% sales growth in fast casual food since 1999.
Source: Washington Post
We used CB Insights data on financings into private restaurant groups (including franchisees like Goldco and WKS Restaurant), to identify some of the key investor-backed players looking to compete with McDonald’s and other incumbent fast food players.
As McDonald’s and its traditional fast food peers look to re-think how they attract customers, these restaurant groups are taking advantage of the fast casual trend and a more health conscience diner. Our list ranges from companies leading the “better burger” concept like Smashburger, to premium salad chains like Sweetgreen to farm-to-table concepts like Dig Inn Seasonal Market and Lyfe Kitchen.
See the full list below.
|Protein bar specializes in doing “healthy…tastier” with high-protein food that can be served in a quick manner.|
|HQ Location: Chicago, IL|
# of Locations
Select Investors: Catterton Partners
Want more restaurant financing and exit data? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity