Part 2 of our Venture Capital Human Capital report looked at founders of VC-backed companies and their gender and education demographics. For those engaged in the startup ecosystem, there is a debate about the value of MBAs at a startup. Generally, the commentary is not particularly favorable towards MBAs.
But some hard data from our Venture Capital Human Capital report suggests MBAs might be deserving of a bit more respect.
The data indicates that amongst founders with Master’s degrees, 58%, of teams only have founders with an MBA. So based on this data point, an MBA is not a liability when raising funding.
More interesting, however, is the fact that founding teams with an MBA raise larger median funding rounds than companies with founders who just have Master’s of Science degrees or teams that have MBA and MS founders.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity