We outline the market outlook for grid inspection in the energy industry — from investment trends and leading companies to recommendations for players in the space.
What is grid inspection?
Grid inspection companies offer solutions for the remote inspection of grid equipment, such as power lines and transformers. Utility companies can reduce their overall labor costs by using these solutions to identify when they need maintenance and repairs.
Typical solutions involve bringing together drones for remote inspection and artificial intelligence (AI)-driven software analytics platforms for defect detection. Some companies also use lidar sensors to detect hot spots on potentially faulty equipment.
Features & capabilities
Grid inspection provides utility companies with several capabilities, including the following:
- Disaster and disruption management
- Non-conductive payload
- Autonomous inspection and monitoring software
- Autonomous drone-in-a-box solutions
- Visual data management
- Automated industrial inspections and monitoring
Grid inspection solutions offer these substantial benefits to utility companies:
- Reduced operating costs
- Improved system reliability
- Increased labor productivity
- Increased safety for workers in dangerous scenarios