With more scalable technology and lots of early-stage money it is easier than ever to build a tech company today regardless of location, right? Maybe but when it comes to big valuations, it’s hard to get one if outside of major venture capital hubs.
We looked at the data of all $500M+ valuation VC-backed US tech company financing rounds since 2011 and found that thus far in 2014, major venture markets (CA, NY, MA) have dominated all other US geos taking 93% of the mega-valuation financing rounds. This is notable because the 3 venture capital hubs took 66% of VC deals and 80% of VC dollars in Q2 2014. Notable non-major market financings in 2014 include an $125M series C which valued Utah-based Domo Technologies at $825M, as well as an $100M series C which valued another Utah company, Insidesales.com at $1B.
*All data as of 8/30/2014
Want to track the startup companies getting big valuations? Login to the CB Insights venture capital database or create a free account below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity