LinkedIn is acquiring Ed Tech company Lynda.com for $1.5B. This is the third acquisition for LinkedIn in the past three months (Refresh in April, Careerify in February which is part of a larger HR tech big data trend) highlighting the professional network’s ambitions. Some of LinkedIn’s acquisitions have been to fortify its existing business while Lynda.com is an ed tech deal that gets LinkedIn in the $30 billion professional certification market.
Related: Ed tech startups are raking in a lot of funding as we’d previously highlighted.
The Lynda.com acquisition comes after they raised a $186M growth equity round in January 2015, which valued the company at $1B. The $1.5B price tag marks the largest acquisition ever by LinkedIn, and is more than 8.6x larger than its previously largest acquisition – Bizo which was acquired in July 2014 for $175M.
Want more data around LinkedIn’s acquisition activity? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity