Venture capital investment into the life sciences arena hit a nadir in Q2 2010 on a deals basis but has since rebounded with Q3 2010 coming in with the second largest number of healthcare venture capital deals in the last five quarters. Venture funding to biotech, pharma and medical device companies also came back after its low-point in Q1 2010.
The resurgence in healthcare deals is a bit surprising given that the two stalwarts of healthcare / life science venture capital, California and Massachusetts, have actually ceded their share of deals as shown below. While typically representing 50+% of the aggregate number of deals, both states came down in the most recent quarter. Pennsylvania and New Jersey have gained a bit of share as did Texas and healthcare investments in numerous other US states.
Want to know about every healthcare company receiving venture capital? You should sign up for free access to CB Insights
or you can click the green button to the right.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity