Q1 2014 saw venture capital funding hit $9.99 billion across 880 deals, a funding tally not seen since the heady dot com days. We took a look at the venture capital firms that invested in the highest number of companies across the ecosystem last quarter.
Topping the list of most active investors was prolific early-stage firm 500 Startups. Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, which has in the past four months notched exits including Opower, Aerohive, Mandiant and Nest Labs and is said to be raised its next set of funds, tied for second with New Enterprise Associates. Among Kleiner’s investments in Q1 were language learning app Duolingo, CRM platform RelateIQ and healthcare data analytics firm Zephyr Health.
Andreessen Horowitz, which was 2013’s most active VC, came in sixth on the list based on its number of U.S. investments in the three month period. The full list is below.
All of the underlying financing data on the most active VCs is on the CB Insights Venture Capital Database. Sign up for free below. Our entire 114-page Q1 2014 VC report is available to customers on the Research tab after logging in.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity