From smart thermometers to connected kitchen devices to vehicle WiFi hotspots, the Internet of Things ecosystem is expanding rapidly with a host of new applications and technologies. Using CB Insights interactive rankings feature, we compiled a list of the most active venture capital and corporate investors in the IoT space in 2014.
Intel Capital tops the list based on unique company deals in 2014, followed by Sequoia Capital and True Ventures, which has made the IoT vertical a key focus area of its portfolio.
As highlighted below, prominent IoT investors include both tech corporates such as Intel, Qualcomm and Cisco as well as Sand Hill Road venture firms including Khosla Ventures and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, which this year exited both Nest Labs and Dropcam.
|Rank||Investor||Select 2014 Investments|
|1||Intel Capital||Enlighted, Appscomm, Avegant|
|2||Sequoia Capital||Lifx, Simplisafe, Airstrip|
|3||True Ventures||Ring, Narrative, Athos Works|
|4||Qualcomm Ventures||Ineda Systems, Airstrip, Streetline|
|4||Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers||Enlighted, Kinsa, mCube|
|4||Khosla Ventures||Thync, Misfit, Helium Systems|
|4||Andreessen Horowitz||IFTTT, Thync, Wearable Intelligence|
|8||Cisco Investments||Alya Networks, EVRYTHING, Ineda Systems|
|8||Norwest Venture Partners||IFTT, iRhythm, Misfit|
|8||The Social+Capital Partnership||BoomBotix, FiLiP Technologies, Athos Works|
For more Internet of Things financing and exit data, check out the CB Insights Venture Capital Database. Sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity