There are 185 private unicorn companies valued at $1B+ as of 01/31/17, all tracked on CB Insights global real-time unicorn tracker.
Venture capital investors have noted in recent years that billion-dollar companies are being created at a rapid pace, with 2014 through 2015 seeing a notable uptick in unicorn births. With this in mind, we decided to visualize the increasingly crowded unicorn club.
This is the third edition of this infographic. It was first published in October 2015. We will continue to update it as this cohort of companies gains new entrants.
We looked at all still-private unicorns since 2009 and charted them based on when they first joined the unicorn club. There have been three unicorns added to the club so far in 2017: Zhihu, Zoom Video Communications, and URWork. The infographic excludes exited companies.
Click on the image below to enlarge.
Want more data on $1B+ startups? Log in to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity