The US remains the stronghold of healthcare unicorns, with half of the global total.
Globally, there are 42 healthcare unicorns that have an aggregate valuation of $101.5B (as of 4/8/20).
Free Download: the State of healthcare
Healthcare startups saw a record-breaking 1,904 deals in Q3’21. Get our full report to find out all the trends.
The US boasts 21 healthcare unicorns — half of the global total. Asia comes in second, with 10 healthcare unicorns, all of which are in China except South Korea’s biopharmaceutical firm Aprogen. Europe is home to 9 healthcare unicorns, 5 of which are based in the UK.
Despite a quarter-over-quarter drop in deals, equity funding continued to rise globally. Two unicorns have joined the herd since our last healthcare report, including Israel-based Insightec ($1.3B valuation) and US-based Alto Pharmacy ($1B).
The top-funded unicorns, which are all US-based, include:
- Cancer drug developer Samumed, which last raised $438M in 2018 at a $12B valuation
- Biopharmaceutical firm Roivant Sciences, which boasts a $9B valuation after a $1B corporate minority round in December 2019
- Life science company Tempus, which notched a $5B valuation following a $100M Series G in March 2020
Take a look at all the underlying data and more insights in our State Of Healthcare Q1’20 Report: Investment & Sector Trends To Watch.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity