We previously discussed the phenomenon of tech companies raising more money pre-IPO than ever before. We used CB Insights data to see if VC-backed healthcare companies were seeing the same type of pre-IPO funding increase.
The data below.
Median Pre-IPO funding for VC-backed healthcare companies has diverged versus tech over the past few years, as the median actually fell from 2012 to 2013. This year which has seen over 40 VC-backed healthcare public offerings already, including Kite Pharma, Versartis, and Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical, is on pace to continue the trend of shrinking pre-IPO funding totals for healthcare companies.
Valuations Remain Range-Bound
Much like Tech, median valuations at time of IPO haven’t followed the pre-IPO funding trends too closely. 2009 saw the highest median valuations at time of IPO for VC-backed healthcare companies over the past 6 years (largely due to the low volume of healthcare IPOs), however median valuations have grown each year after the sharp drop off from 2009 to 2010. The rising valuation trend may be broken based on data for the 1st half of 2014 as median valuations at the time of IPO have actually fallen to just above $200M.
For more information surrounding IPOs check out our analysis on pre-IPO funding for tech companies. The underlying data that makes up this research brief comes from the CB Insights venture capital database. You can create a free account below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity