This note also discusses how tech companies are innovating to reduce their dependence on rare raw materials.
Today, we discuss GitHub, using AI to attack Alzheimer’s, the big money in used car marketplaces, and more, including:
- Microsoft was becoming more developer-centric even before GitHub
- Used cars are big business in China and beyond
- To detect Alzheimer’s early, startups are using a wide array of strategies
- Healthcare AI startups receive record levels of first round funding
- Automakers and consumer electronics companies are reducing, reusing, and recycling rare earth materials
Microsoft’s developer focus was increasing under Satya Nadella even before the GitHub acquisition
The graph above shows mentions of the word developer on Microsoft’s earnings calls. The yellow is when Satya Nadella assumed the reigns at Microsoft. We see a modest but not striking uptick in mentions of the word developer.
Its developer-specific investments and acquisitions in just the last year include: