Angel investors increase deal sizes and investments in the mobile sector while valuations and syndication activity dip slightly.
We just issued our Q3 2012 Halo Report in conjunction with Silicon Valley Bank and the Angel Resource Institute earlier today and wanted to highlight a few notable items. The full report and infographic are embedded below as well.
- Median Angel Round Size Hit Five Quarter High: In Q3 2012, the median size of angel & angel group syndicate rounds reaches $640K, the highest in the five quarters the data has been tracked.
- Early Stage Valuations Remain Stable: The median pre-money valuation for early stage angel group deals is $2.6M, slightly down from $2.7M in Q2, for a rolling 12 month period.
- Syndications Declined in Q3. We don’t know the significance of this finding yet, but thought it was an interesting data point that we will continue to monitor.
- Investments in Mobile Companies Jumped Up: Mobile companies saw increases in both deals and dollars; the share of deals for mobile companies reaches five quarter high.
- 10% of Angel Group Deals are structured as convertible debt, 2012 YTD. We just started tracking this, so we don’t know how it’s trending yet, but we do know that is significantly higher than with venture capital.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity