Of all sectors, venture capital flowing to the green tech / clean tech sector exhibits the wildest fluctuations quarter to quarter in CB Insights tracking of activity. Q2 2010 was no different with funding to green/clean tech down 20% and the number of deals down 35% vs the prior quarter. Versus Q2 2009, funding was up over 40%.
While the venture capital funding totals are unsurprisingly volatile given the impact that a few large deals can have on funding totals quarter to quarter, the number of fundings or deals also exhibited volatility that is generally not seen in other prominent sectors such as internet and healthcare.
The volatility is best illustrated by looking at the recent five quarter venture capital trend to green / clean tech.
The CB Insights Green Tech / Clean Tech Q2 2010 Venture Capital Activity Report begins on page 21.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity