The following data comes from the 2014 European Tech Report. Download it here.
Investments into VC-backed German Tech companies more than doubled year-over-year totaling $1.28B in 2014 versus just $578M in 2013.
Q3’14 reached an 18-quarter high for dollars invested at $555M, driven largely by Delivery Hero’s $350M Series G. Deal activity also hit highs in Q4 amid a slew of early-stage investments.
Delivery Hero financing dominates German Tech
Berlin, which has quickly become one of Europe’s main tech hubs, continued to dominate the German Tech scene, as food delivery startup Delivery Hero saw 3 funding rounds and a whopping $523M in financing. Munich saw the second highest total for both deals and dollars behind home furnishing startup Westwing Home & Living’s $98.8M Series B. NETVACATION led Hamburg, raising a $24.9M Series C in November.
High-Tech Gruenderfonds is most active VC in German Tech
Early-stage investor High-Tech Gruenderfonds had over 35 investments in German Tech companies in 2014 including Inventorum’s $5.05M Series A and Outfittery’s $17.81M Series B. German Startups Group was the second most active VC, investing in mostly Seed and Series A deals.
The full list below.
|1||High-Tech Gruenderfonds||9||Mangrove Capital Partners|
|2||German Startups Group||9||Iris Capital|
|5||Point Nine Capital||11||Paua Ventures|
|5||IBB Beteiligungsgesellschaft||11||DN Capital|
|5||Earlybird Venture Capital||11||Hasso Plattner Ventures|
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity