CB Insights and The New York Times team up to spot high-momentum startups.
In collaboration with the New York Times, we put together a list of 50 future unicorns (companies that we think will eventually be valued at $1B or more).
To identify companies, we used our Mosaic algorithm, a metric that combines a company’s financial health, the amount of traction it has, and the strength of its market.
We used the same approach for our 2015 version of this list, of which 48% of our predictions have become unicorns.
Here are some key points about our 2019 list:
- Industry agnostic: No single industry dominates the list, with startups tackling everything from HR tech to payments to pharmacies. The two most common areas were Accounting & Finance software and Business Intelligence tools.
- More international geographies represented: Of the 50 future unicorns on the list, 5 are based in India, 4 are in China, 3 are in Latin America, 3 are in Europe, and 2 are in Australia.
- The median company on our list has $111.4M in total funding and has raised a Series C.
- The US hosts the most future unicorns: The majority of companies on our list (66%) are from the United States. Other geographies with a substantial presence on the list are India (10%), China (8%), and Brazil (4%).
- US states represented the most: California (22), New York (5), and Massachusetts (2). Other states represented include Washington, Kansas, Georgia, and DC, which are each home to one future unicorn on the list.
|Alto Pharmacy||United States||Pharmacies|
|Amplitude||United States||Business Intelligence, Analytics, & Performance Management|
|Beisen||China||HR & Workforce Management|
|BetterCloud||United States||Application & Data Integration|
|Blend||United States||Accounting & Finance|
|Braze||United States||Customer Relationship Management|
|C2FO||United States||Accounting & Finance|
|CargoX||Brazil||Supply Chain & Logistics|
|Checkr||United States||HR & Workforce Management|
|Citymapper||United Kingdom||Location-Based & Navigation|
|ClearTax||India||Accounting & Finance|
|DailyHunt||India||News & Discussion|
|Datrium||United States||Data Storage & Security|
|Deputy||Australia||HR & Workforce Management|
|DeepMap||United States||Scientific, Engineering Software|
|Domino Data Lab||United States||Business Intelligence, Analytics, & Performance Management|
|Earnin||United States||Accounting & Finance|
|Embark Trucks||United States||Supply Chain & Logistics Software|
|Expanse||United States||Monitoring & Security|
|Faire||United States||Retail & Inventory|
|Farmers Business Network||United States||Business Intelligence, Analytics, & Performance Management|
|Glossier||United States||Other Retail|
|Grow Mobility||Mexico||Motorcycle & Small Engine Vehicles|
|HackerOne||United States||Monitoring & Security|
|Mapbox||United States||Location-Based & Navigation|
|Marqeta||United States||E-commerce Enablement|
|Medbanks Network Technology||China||Healthcare|
|Onshape||United States||Scientific, Engineering Software|
|Outreach||United States||Business Intelligence, Analytics, & Performance Management|
|RigUp||United States||Collaboration & Project Management Software|
|SalesLoft||United States||Customer Relationship Management|
|Segment||United States||Application & Data Integration|
|SiSense||United States||Business Intelligence, Analytics, & Performance Management|
|Sonder||United States||Travel (internet)|
|Standard Cognition||United States||Point of Sales & Retail Computer Systems|
|Upgrade||United States||Accounting & Finance|