Startups are attacking all the tiers of the traditional food pyramid.
VCs love their food investments. The food-tech industry is already booming thanks to venture funding of meal-delivery and restaurant tech startups.
But more traditional companies, focused on the manufacture or distribution of food and beverage products, have also begun to attract prominent venture investors. These startups have begun attacking all areas of the traditional food pyramid.
With this in mind, we built a Food Startup Pyramid that features over 40 US-based VC-backed food startups (as well as a handful of others that have not received venture funding). The VC-backed companies’ products range from the animal-free dairy and meat offerings of the Kholsa Ventures-backed startups Impossible Foods, Muufri, and Kite Hill, to the meat and protein substitutes of Beyond Meat and Exo, and the healthier sweets crated by Unreal Brands and NibMor. In addition to food products, beverage products made by coffee roasters like Blue Bottle Coffee and Philz Coffee and manufacturers like Austin East Ciders have also received venture backing.
See the graphic below for a full breakdown. Note: Click on the image to enlarge.
Want more data around food & beverage startups? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity