Investment into financial technologies (FinTech) by venture capital, private equity and angels has steadily climbed and since 2008 has eclipsed $9 billion. 2013 is shaping up to be a banner year for FinTech topping the high levels seen in 2012.
Below is the FinTech investment picture since 2008. As shown below, $9.03B has been invested across 1,314 deals over that time period. And based on 2013’s run rate through June, 2013 looks like it will set a new high watermark for FinTech investment.
- Capital Markets Technology – Companies that provide tools and platforms to facilitate the buying and selling of financial securities for professional investors.
- Payments – Companies that offer technologies to facilitate the payments process including cutting processing costs, enabling digital currencies to become viable methods of payments and letting customers make payments via their mobile phone.
- Data Analytics – Companies that leverage big data for financial matters such as risk management, fraud detection and credit monitoring.
- Banking & Corporate Finance – Companies that use technologies to complement or disrupt traditional banking and corporate finance practices such as loan origination, mobile banking and corporate accounting.
- Personal Finance Management – Companies that help individuals manage a wide variety of finances including stock portfolios, personal budgets and taxes through technology.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity