In Q1’16, funding to VC-backed fintech startups bounced back to hit $4.9B after a notable drop in Q4’15 and a large reason why was because of a rebound in $50M+ deals in North America, according to data from the KPMG-CB Insights Pulse of Fintech Report.
Fintech mega-rounds in North America more than doubled on a quarterly basis and included large financings to companies including health insurer Oscar ($400M), robo-advisor Betterment ($100M), payday loan startup LendUp and more. Asia matched the number of $50M+ financings to VC-backed fintech startups on a quarterly basis in Q1’16.
Conversely, Europe drew a blank when it came to $50M+ VC-backed fintech financings in Q1’16 and, as the chart highlights below, has seen significantly less mega-round activity than in North America and Asia over the last five quarters.
Looking for more fintech investing data and analytics? Sign up for the CB Insights Venture Capital Database.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity