While Goldman’s investment was a bold move toward Wall St.’s acceptance of the technology, who are the other financial services firms and corporate strategic investors with stakes in the bitcoin/blockchain ecosystem?
There are several and the list is growing.
Within financial services, firms that have investments in the space include Spanish banking group BBVA, investment management firm Fortress as well as exchange behemoth, NYSE Euronext. Within the broader group of strategics, Google Ventures has been an active corporate VC in the digital currency space — with investments in companies including bitcoin options exchange LedgerX, recently-shuttered startup Buttercoin and Ripple Labs.
1st Update (3/2/2016): We originally published this infographic 5/22/15 and updated it 3/2/16, as strategic investors across insurance (New York Life, Transamerica Ventures, AXA Strategic Ventures), telecom (Verizon Ventures, Orange Digital Ventures) and payments (Visa, MasterCard, American Express) among others dive into blockchain investing. As the chart below highlights, over 70 corporate and strategic investors are now invested in blockchain and/or bitcoin startups vs. fewer than 20 as of May 2015.
The original chart highlighting the growing group of strategic/corporate investors in both financial services and tech in the digital currency space since 2009 is below.
Looking for more digital currency and Fin Tech investment data? Sign up free for the CB Insights Venture Capital Database below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity