Over the past several years, investors have plowed billions into fin tech startups working in categories ranging from personal wealth management to payments processing and blockchain applications.
The boom in funding has resulted in a growing crop of fin tech unicorns. Today, there are 18 billion-dollar private companies within fin tech, from Stripe to Transferwise to Adyen that are valued, in aggregate, at $52.3B globally.
But a closer look at global fin tech unicorns show that 83% or 15 out of the 18 most valuable fin tech startups are either in payments or lending. Zenefits, the cloud benefits software platform and insurance broker, and Credit Karma, the free credit and financial management platform, are the only non-payments or lending startups in the top 10.
Of course, as early-stage investments heat up in blockchain applications and insurance tech, the makeup of fin tech’s billion-dollar companies could eventually look significantly different than it does today.
A version of this chart was presented at Silicon Valley Bank’s FinTech Meetup.
Looking for more Fin Tech data? Sign up for the CB Insights Venture Capital Database free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity