But NY solidifies its position as #2 for fin tech investment although it remains a distant second to the Golden State.
Financial technology companies have been seeing a great deal of interest from the investors as of late. Traditionally, the hub for financial technology investment has been California as the Valley. With NY’s emergence as the east coast’s tech capital and it being the global financial capital, has NY become a center for financial technology investment? Within fin tech, we include tech companies building new payments technologies, consumer or business-focused accounting & finance applications, as well as asset management and trading applications.
As the data below illustrates, California maintains the top spot for fin tech financing and deals pulling in 40%+ deals in recent quarters as well as 70+% of funding. New York has claimed around 10% of venture capital deals and dollars invested in financial tech startups per quarter over the last five quarters. As also can be seen, New York fin tech funding and deal volume has been prone to more volatility, but the recent quarter (Q2 2012) was a solid one for New York as it took 12% of VC dollars and a 15% deal share.
After California and New York, Washington state makes a nice showing along with Massachusetts and Georgia which round out the top 5 for fin tech investment destinations.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity