Investment into VC-backed fin tech companies has skyrocketed over the past four quarters, reaching an all-time funding high of $4.85B in Q3’15, and matching a deal count high of 147 deals previously set in Q1’15. The large funding total was buoyed by $500M+ financings to Social Finance ($1B, Series E) and One97 Communications ($680M, Corporate Minority).
Overall there were eight $100M+ financings to VC-backed fin tech companies in Q3’15.
While North America continues to account for the bulk of the funding to VC-backed fin tech companies, 2015 will be the first year where three continents will see $1B+ in total funding in the space. Asia, Europe, and North America have all surpassed 2014’s totals with over a month left in 2015. Asia has seen the largest explosion in funding with nearly $3.3B in funding thus far this year across 102 deals, the first time another continent besides North America will see 100+ deals in a single year.
Want more global fin tech data? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity