Walmart bought Jet.com for $3.3B a little over a year after the site was officially launched. We used CB Insights data to analyze what some of the other quick turnarounds there were for startups. Specifically we looked at companies that exited for more than $1B+ and the number of days from their first institutional financing.
Airwatch represents the fastest acquisition post-investment, selling the company to VMWare about a year after raising a gigantic $200M growth equity round (Airwatch was bootstrapped for the decade prior to the fundraise so the company was definitely more mature than a company like Jet.com). Biotech company Flexus Biosciences sold to Bristol-Myers Squibb for a total of $1.25B after raising an initial $15M from Kleiner Perkins less than 500 days prior. Jet is the 5th fastest flip. The largest quick acquisition on this list is Whatsapp, acquired by Facebook with a final price tag of $22B. Facebook acquired 3 companies on this list: Oculus, Instagram, and Whatsapp highlighting their penchant to snap up emerging consumer platforms quickly.
Want more info on startup exits? Check out our private market database below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity