The Facebook Mafia isn’t waiting for an IPO to strike out on their own as company alumni have already raised $271 million of venture capital funding since 2006. And the Facebook Mafia’s momentum appears to be accelerating with the group pulling in $130 million in just the first 5.5 months of 2012, a 137% increase over all of 2011, and the highest total in the last 6.5 years (graph below). For those unfamiliar with the term, the Facebook Mafia refers to alumni of Facebook who’ve gone on to found new startup companies.
With Facebook’s impending IPO and the resulting number of employee millionaires it will mint, there is every reason to believe that this is just the beginning of a lot more venture funding to Facebook alumni. As happened with Google, VCs will be keen to to build relationships and fund Facebook staff (especially engineers) if said engineers decide to scratch their entrepreneurial itch and found a startup.
Of course, some VCs have not waited to build bridges and relationships with Facebook alums. The investors that have been most active funding Facebook Mafia companies to-date are also given below with the number of companies they’ve funded. Interestingly, the group of Facebook Mafia financiers has been quite diverse as CB Insights data identified 67 different investors who’ve invested in at least one Facebook Mafia company. Only the 6 venture capital firms who have invested in 2 or more Facebook alumni companies are given below.
Please note that this data is part of an upcoming report that will look at the financing data, results and impact of the Paypal, Google and Facebook Mafias. You can sign up below to receive the free report.
- Greylock – 3 companies
- Benchmark Capital – 2 companies
- First Round Capital – 2 companies
- Index Ventures – 2 companies
- Redpoint Ventures – 2 companies
- SV Angel – 2 companies
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity