Also covered are caregiving robots, packaging innovation, and the P2P payments battle.
Today, we’re talking about Buzzfeed and native advertising, travel metasearch’s peak, the list of kingmaker rounds, and more:
- List of 43 companies that have raised a $1B+ financing round
- Is native advertising in trouble? Uh oh BuzzFeed.
- Travel metasearch has peaked. A look at deals and targets.
- Caregiving looks to robotics for innovation
- Startups disrupting packaging
- PayPal and Square battle on P2P payments
All the companies raising $1B+ kingmaker rounds
In the last client note, we discussed the rise of the kingmaker round, or deals greater than $1B. Many of you wrote in asking us to list them. This CB Insights search has all of them but for convenience, we’ve listed them below as well.
Most of the kingmaker rounds have gone to Asian companies with China being the biggest market. North America (driven by the USA) is next for these $1B+ rounds. Europe barely makes a dent.
In total, there have been 65 kingmaker rounds to 43 companies, excluding private equity and PIPE deals (the deal search includes two PIPE rounds to Clearwire and Autohome). We break down every company below, noting when companies have raised more than one round. Uber has raised an eye-popping 9 kingmaker rounds.