The top private company unicorns are raising financing at an unprecedented rate, and individual deals are swelling to massive proportions.
We used CB Insights data to visualize the funding history for the top 9 unicorns — or “decacorns,” since they’re all valued at more than $10B — including round sizes and total raised.
Our analysis found there have been 14 $1B+ financings to these unicorns since June 2014.
What’s driving the funding stampede and ballooning rounds? One important dynamic is investor FOMO, or fear of missing out on rounds going to the largest unicorns with the most traction. This trend has been accentuated by the entry of public-market focused “crossover” investors like hedge funds and mutual funds into private markets, pushing round sizes up.
The full chart, which you can click to zoom in on, below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity