The European Tech venture capital landscape continued to be dominated by its main hubs in 2014 as the UK and Germany were the only European countries to top 100 deals and $1B in funding during the year.
There were 225 investments made into VC-backed Tech companies in the UK in 2014, up 80% versus 2011. Germany, anchored by a booming tech community in Berlin which sports hot startups like Soundcloud and Delivery Hero also has grown drastically in recent years. There were 154 total deals in Germany in 2014, up from just 85 in 2011, an 82% increase.
France saw the third highest number of deals in 2014 with the most notable financing going to BlaBlaCar’s $100M Series C which featured Accel Partners and Index Ventures, among others.
The full deal trends since 2011 below.
Want the underlying data about Europe’s venture capital scene? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity