No VC invested in more European Tech companies in 2014 than Germany-based seed investor High-Tech Gruenderfonds. The company invested in a slew of seed rounds, as well as a few Series A and B financings, including a $17.81M Series B to Outfittery, a Berlin-based company that uses personal stylists to make it easier for men to shop for clothes, similar to what Trunk Club (acquired by Nordstrom for $350M in August 2014) does. (Note: All the top investors in Europe are detailed in our 2014 European Tech Report)
Index Ventures was the second most-active VC in EU Tech in 2014. They invested across multiple countries including France, Germany, UK, Sweden, and Netherlands. The largest round they participated in was BlaBlaCar’s $100M Series C financing, followed by Funding Circle’s $65M Series D.
Accel Partners rounded out the top three, also investing in BlaBlaCar’s Series C, as well as UK-based Alfresco Software’s $45M growth equity financing and WorldRemit’s $40M Series A. WorldRemit is part of a growing wave of startups disrupting Western Union and Moneygram.
The full list of the most-active European Tech VCs in 2014 below.
|1||High-Tech Gruenderfonds||10||Alven Capital|
|2||Index Ventures||10||Kima Ventures|
|3||Accel Partners||13||Point Nine Capital|
|4||German Startups Group||13||DN Capital|
|5||Octopus Ventures||13||Earlybird Venture Capital|
|5||Balderton Capital||16||Partech Ventures|
|7||Creandum||17||Caixa Capital Risc|
|10||Notion Capital||17||Holtzbrinck Ventures|
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity