Europe’s tech VC investment soared in 2014 as both deals and dollars climbed significantly. What may be the best sign for Europe’s tech scene was the growth in early stage investment which made up 70% of total tech deals in 2014.
Beyond increasing in quantity, the average and median deal sizes for early stage deals are also climbing. In 2014, early stage deal sizes at the seed stage reached a 4-year high with the median deal size growing 29% while the average deal size ticked up by 10% on a YoY basis.
Series A followed a similar trend and hit four-year highs in 2014. While averages have been steadily increasing each year as several large Series A financings occur, median deal size which is a better indicator for the market also broke out in 2014 climbing 38% YoY. The $5.8M average that was seen at the Series A stage was helped by several $30M+ Series A financings to the likes of WorldRemit and Blockchain. The presence of US investors in several Series A deals also helped to raise the average since US participation in European venture deals does tend to inflate deal sizes.
Want to track European venture capital financings? Sign up for our venture capital database below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity