Our 2012 Tech M&A Report highlighted 2788 private tech companies acquired in 2012 and of those, 48 were private ed tech companies. This represented a slight M&A deal activity slowdown from 2011 which saw 51 private ed tech companies being acquired. While M&A activity was flat in Ed Tech, ed tech venture capital climbed significantly seeing $1.1 billion of funding in 2012.
The most active acquirers of ed tech companies in 2012 were comprised of John Wiley & Sons with 3 acquisitions followed by Pearson, Blackboard and private equity firm, Vista Equity Partners, each which purchased two companies.
By size of acquisition, and based on publicly disclosed valuations, Pearson’s $650 million purchase of Embanet Compass marked the largest private company acquisition of 2012. Wiley’s purchase of Deltak for $220 million was number two in terms of size for ed tech M&A deals.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity