Deals and funding to early-stage tech companies in the US reached $6.9B across 2,488 deals through the first three quarters of 2016, according to The US Early-Stage Tech Report published by CB Insights.
US-based early-stage (seed and Series A) technology companies saw a 12% increase in deal activity on a quarterly basis in Q3’16 with 810 deals completed across $2.29B in funding. Despite an increase in Q3’16, deal activity is down 21% when compared to the same quarter in Q3’15 which saw 1,028 deals.
US early-stage tech deal share
The internet sector has remained dominant as a share of early-stage deal share while the mobile & telecom sector has slowly declined.
In Q3’16, the internet sector accounted for 62% of deal share and that has been consistent for several years. In contrast, mobile/telecom deal share dropped from 27% in Q3’14 to 22% in Q3’15 to 21% in Q3’16. Consumer products & services is on the rise, accounting for 6% of deal share in Q3’16, up from 2% two years earlier.
Want more data about US tech startups? Log in to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity