Seed and Series A deals in Q1'16 have so far largely fallen outside the realm of health insurance tech.
An early look at insurance tech deal activity in 2016 shows early-stage insurance tech financings on pace to hit a new quarterly record in Q1’16, according to CB Insights data.
To date, there have been 24 seed or Series A insurance tech deals globally, just 67 days into the year. For context, these would amount to 35% of all early-stage insurance tech activity in 2015 and nearly 49% of all early-stage deals in 2014.
While we’d earlier highlighted that 2015 saw U.S. non-health insurance startups nearly reach parity with health insurance companies for dealflow, early-stage insurance tech deals in 2016 have largely fallen outside the healthcare space. The chart below shows the deal breakdown of health insurance-related tech vs. non-health insurance tech seed and Series A deals in 2016 year-to-date.
Looking for more insurance tech data and analytics? Sign up for the CB Insights Venture Capital Database free.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity