Dow Jones VentureSource revealed its Q3 2011 venture capital report this morning, and we wanted to congratulate them on confirming what CB Insights had revealed in our Q3 Venture Capital Activity Report issued more than a week ago.
Specifically, they did do a nice job restating our earlier findings including:
- Early stage activity is up (more details on that here)
- NY overtook Massachusetts on both VC deals & dollars
- VC levels are back to pre-recession levels
- Medical device companies were a hot area in healthcare
Year-to-date in 2011, we’ve tracked $23 billion of financing compared to VentureSource at $22.8 billion. We’ve tracked 2,296 VC deals and VentureSource has 2,202 deals.
Below is the CB Insights vs. VentureSource data for each of the first three quarters of 2011 by quarter. For a prior comparison of CB Insights VC data vs. VentureSource, you can also check out this venture capital database comparison.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity