Tech has seen a rapid increase of sky-high valuations and massive rounds of funding causing many people to ponder if we’re in another bubble. Irrespective of whether you believe things are frothy or not, the similarities in some of today’s tech companies to famous dot-com busts are hard to ignore.
The chart below looks at a few key comparisons highlighting that what is old is now new again. Some examples include Kozmo, who raised over $200M in venture capital financing before failing, and their modern day equivalents of Postmates, WunWun, and Deliv. There was also Kozmo cousin WebVan, an online grocery delivery service that resembles Instacart, who is rumored to be raising $100M at a $2B valuation.
Of course, there is a lot that is different now. The prevalence of mobile and the # of people who are online and even the business models vary. While the ultimate fate of some of today’s hottest tech companies is TBD, we do know that investors are hoping that this time it’s different.
Interested in tracking these companies? All of their financing and performance data is available on the CB Insights Venture Capital Database. To learn more, login or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity