Cyber breaches and leaks are top of mind for the C-suite across industries from finance, to healthcare, and beyond.
Keeping enterprise data secure is one of the biggest challenges corporations now face.
Corporations increased the number of times they mentioned cybersecurity on earnings calls nearly three-fold since 2014, according to CB Insights data.
The increase in cybersecurity talk is not surprising given the fact that last year stolen data records worldwide exceeded 2 billion for the first time. Throughout 2017, the total number of enterprise records breached every day, hour, minute, and second each doubled from the year prior according to Breach Level Index (BLI).
Cyber criminals are getting better at exploiting enterprises’ weaknesses.
Data from the Verizon 2018 Data Breach Investigations Report shows that the attack-paths hackers take from initial compromise to final data breach are shrinking.
Attack paths represent the number of steps that hackers have to take between breaking in and stealing an enterprise’s data. Advancements in computing power, algorithms, and the proliferation of advanced cyber weaponry are turning previously theoretical hacks into real security problems.
In other words, its getting easier to infiltrate, locate, and ex-filtrate an enterprise’s most sensitive data.
CB Insights put together a research series on the future of data security.
Our series focuses on identifying data security startups to watch, the impact of of emerging technologies such as AI and blockchain on data security, data security’s holy grail, and the data security patent application activity of Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and Apple.
The series includes:
- The Future of Data Security Market Map: we used the CB Insights database to identify 30+ startups enhancing enterprise data security across 8 categories, including homomorphic encryption, data access management, and more.
- The holy grail of enterprise data security: we illustrate each element of the enterprise data life cycle including an emerging cryptographic solution to the persistent challenge of securing data while it is in use.
- AI, blockchain, encryption, & the CIA triad: we analyzed the use cases for AI, blockchain, and advanced encryption technologies for protecting enterprise data.
- FAMGA are patenting data security innovations: we explain what Big Tech’s patents tell us about the future of data security.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity