Since 2012, a16z has backed the most cybersecurity unicorns.
New Enterprise Associates (NEA) has added more cybersecurity companies to its portfolio than any other VC in the last five years. NEA is also the most active early-stage investor, as well as the most active smart money VC in cybersecurity since 2012.
Rounding out the top five most active smart money VCs in cybersecurity are: Accel Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.
To analyze smart money trends, we looked at the activity of the top 24 VC firms, selected according to portfolio valuations and their investment outcomes.
Visualizing the smart money in cybersecurity
We used our Business Social Graph tool to visualize how smart money VC investors and their portfolio companies in cybersecurity are interrelated.
Click on the image below to enlarge.
Quarterly smart money activity
Q3’16 was the 6th quarter in a row with 12+ deals in cybersecurity with smart money VC backing, and at 19 deals involving smart money VCs, that’s the most deals in a single quarter since Q2’14.
Note: To analyze smart money trends, we looked at the activity of 24 top VC firms, selected according to portfolio valuations and investment outcomes. Some of the investors are linked to relevant research briefs. Here’s our full list of 24 smart money investors:
- Sequoia Capital
- Benchmark Capital
- Accel Partners
- Greylock Partners
- Andreessen Horowitz
- Union Square Ventures
- First Round Capital
- Bessemer Venture Partners
- Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers
- New Enterprise Associates
- Founders Fund
- Lightspeed Venture Partners
- Foundry Group
- Index Ventures
- Khosla Ventures
- Social Capital
- Emergence Capital Partners
- True Ventures
- Floodgate Fund
- General Catalyst Partners
- Spark Capital
- Battery Ventures
- Redpoint Ventures
Want more data on cybersecurity startups? Log in to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity