In the first half of 2014, venture capital investors participated in 1854 U.S. deals totaling over $23.8 billion. And corporate venture capital firms continued to aggressively invest esp in some of the largest rounds.
Using CB Insights data, we took a look at the corporate venture groups that invested in the largest number of U.S.-based companies in the first half of 2014. The firms below.
Leading the most active corporate venture arms was Google Ventures, which invested in over 2x as many unique companies as second-place Intel Capital in H1 2014. Just two healthcare-focused corporate venture firms – Novartis Venture Funds and GlaxoSmithKline’s SR One, made the top 10 list which is otherwise dominated by tech-focused corporate VCs. Of course, there are more tech-focused corporate VCs in general so this is probably
It’s also important to note that the investor league tables may change significantly as the year progresses (as they did from Q1 2014). For example, Qualcomm Ventures has already announced participation in a handful of U.S. deals in July including to smart parking company Streetline and retail tech firm RetailNext.
The full list of the 10 most active corporate VCs along with select investments made in H1 2014 are below.
Related: Evaluating the Effectiveness of Corporate Venture Capital Investors in Tech
Want more corporate venture capital financing and exit data and analytics? Check out the CB Insights Venture Capital Database. Sign up free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity