How big a role are corporate venture capital groups playing in the wider VC ecosystem?
Here’s some data. Corporate VC firms have participated in over one-fifth of all US-based VC deals in 2015’s first half. That’s compared to corporate VCs participating in just 15% of deals during the same period in 2013.
The increase in corporate involvement comes as the number of active corporate VC firms surges. In Q1’15, 106 corporate VCs completed a US deal, an 82% rise from the same quarter in 2013. Prominent corporate VCs including Salesforce Ventures, Google Ventures, and Comcast Ventures are also adding a greater percentage of so-called unicorns to their portfolios, companies valued at $1B or more. Over half of all US billion-dollar startups are backed by a corporate VC.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity