The construction tech industry spans emerging categories such as collaboration software, marketplaces, and frontier tech applications.
Construction is an asset-heavy industry that startups and investors are increasingly recognizing as a sector primed for digitization. 2017 has already seen approximately $169M in disclosed funding across at least 25 deals to construction tech companies.
Startups in the space are attacking the industry across diverse areas such as field management and equipment and construction materials marketplaces. In particular, we have seen a surge in the applications of mobile and cloud technologies, AI and robotics, AR/VR, and CAD software towards the construction industry.
Using CB Insights’ platform, we identified 100+ startups working in construction tech, and categorized them into a market map spanning 13 key emerging categories and subcategories, including marketplaces, monitoring and safety, and design technologies. We define our construction tech category as startups working on software tools and platforms used by different participants in the industry including architects, developers, builders, and contractors.
Scroll down to read a full description of categories and a table with every startup included in our map.
Click on the image to enlarge. Market map is not meant to be exhaustive of companies in the space. Companies are categorized according to primary use case.
Track all the construction tech startups in this brief and many more on our platform
Startups working in construction tech have the potential to upend approaches to design, procurement, and operations. Look for Construction Tech Startups in the Collections tab.Track Construction Tech startups
Collaboration Software – This was the largest category in our market map and encompasses areas such as project and task management, digital scheduling and time tracking, bid management, takeoff, and other collaboration tools.
- Project & Task Management: This subcategory includes companies that are creating project management tools for the construction industry, a majority of which have provided mobile solutions to allow construction workers to manage construction projects in the field. The most well-funded company in this space is construction tech unicorn Procore Technologies, a cloud-based construction management platform, which has raised over $180M to-date from ICONIQ Capital, Bessemer Venture Partners, O’Connor Ventures, and other investors.
- Other Collaboration Tools: This section includes other collaboration tools for time tracking, bid management, and other areas. Stealth startup ALICE Technologies is one company in the space which is leveraging Building Information Modeling (BIM) to optimize construction scheduling. In the bid management space, one player is BuildingConnected, which has raised $8.5M from Brick and Mortar Ventures and Bee Partners among others.
Marketplaces – This category helps match clients or homeowners with construction needs spanning equipment, building materials, and contractors.
- Equipment Share: The biggest application for marketplaces in construction tech is for equipment. The most well-funded marketplace company is equipment marketplace EquipmentShare, which has raised nearly $34M in funding from Y Combinator, Insight Venture Partners, and Romulus Capital, among others.
- Other Marketplaces: This subcategory includes marketplaces beyond equipment including those for building materials and home improvement. In the building materials space, India-based company OfBusiness has raised $16M from Matrix Partners, Zodius Capital, among others. Other marketplaces include Architizer, an online architecture database, which has raised just under $15M and Work Today, which aims to connect construction workers with jobs via SMS. The company has raised $1.4M from Social Capital and other investors.
Frontier Tech & Robotics – Companies here use “frontier tech” — including drones, AR/VR, and robotics — and apply it to the construction industry.
- Drones: Drone companies provide aerial intelligence for the construction industry. The most well-funded company in this category is drone company 3D Robotics which has raised nearly $179M to-date from investors including a recent $53M Series D round led by Atlantic Bridge.
- AR / VR: AR/VR applications to the construction industry have grown in recent years. One company in this category is IrisVR, which has built a suite of virtual reality tools for the architecture and design industries. The company has raised nearly $11M from investors such as Emergence Capital Partners, Morningside Ventures, and others.
- Construction Robots – Companies in this category are using robots (non-drones) to automate historically manual construction tasks. We identified a few players in the space, one of which is India-based Endless Robotics, which has developed a robotic solution for applying paints and coatings on walls. The startup has received $100K in seed funding to-date.
Design Technologies – This category features companies leveraging construction design technologies including using computer-aided design (CAD) and building information modeling (BIM) to create digital representations of physical building characteristics. 3D CAD platform Onshape is one company in this space, which has raised $169M to-date from Andreessen Horowitz, Bolt Innovation Group, New Enterprise Associates, among other investors.
Inventory & Supply Chain Management – This section includes companies focusing on inventory and supply chain management for the construction industry. The most well-funded company in this category is construction tech unicorn Katerra, a California-based offsite construction company streamlining the design-bid-build process, which has raised over $264M to-date from DFJ Growth Fund, Foxconn Technology Company, and Khosla Ventures, among others.
Risk Management – Companies in this category focus on various aspects of risk management including overall end-to-end risk management, compliance, and monitoring and safety solutions for the construction industry.
- Monitoring and Safety: This is the largest subcategory within risk management and includes companies focusing on inspection, monitoring, and safety within the construction industry. Human Condition Safety is one company in the space that is leveraging wearable technology, AI, and BIM to create safer job sites. The company has raised just under $16M from American International Group and other investors.
- Compliance & Security: Companies in this area focus on various facets of compliance. For example, New Orleans-based lien rights management platform Express Lien (dba Zlien) has raised over $7M from Brick and Mortar Ventures, Altos Ventures, and other investors.
Data and Analytics – This section includes companies focusing on data management, predictive analytics, and other models to enhance processes and provide better intelligence to the construction tech industry. The most well-funded company here is construction tech unicorn Uptake Technologies, a Chicago-based predictive analytics platform which has raised $135M to-date from Revolution, Caterpillar, GreatPoint Ventures, and other investors.
Financial Management – This was one of the smaller categories in our map and includes Joist, a software tool for contractors that allows them to estimate, invoice, and manage projects. Joist raised a seed round in 2015 from Accomplice and Matrix Partners.
|Buildcon||500 Accelerator||Collaboration Software – Other Collaboration Tools|
|BuildingConnected||Bee Partners, Brick & Mortar Ventures, Crosslink Capital,||Collaboration Software – Other Collaboration Tools|
|Pantera Global Technology||N/A||Collaboration Software – Other Collaboration Tools|
|ALICE Technologies||N/A||Collaboration Software – Other Collaboration Tools|
|BusyBusy||Caterpillar Ventures||Collaboration Software – Other Collaboration Tools|
|Fibo||Y Combinator||Collaboration Software – Other Collaboration Tools|
|CINX||N/A||Collaboration Software – Other Collaboration Tools|
|Drawboard||Startmate||Collaboration Software – Other Collaboration Tools|
|Cloud Takeoff (dba STACK Construction Technologies)||CincyTech||Collaboration Software – Other Collaboration Tools|
|Bouw7||Rockstart Accelerator||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|Bridgit||Communitech Rev, FundersClub, Hyde Park Venture Partners||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|BuilderTREND Solutions||N/A||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|BuildUp Technologies||UpWest Labs||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|BulldozAIR||Impact USA, Y Combinator||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|Construct||Plug and Play Ventures||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|EIDA Solutions||Adopt a Startup Programme||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|eSUB Construction Software||Mainsail Partners, Revolution||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|Falcon Brick||LetsVenture, Mumbai Angels||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|Leansite||Startup Wise Guys||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|Fieldly||K5 Advisors, Lund University||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|Fieldwire||AngelPad, Bloomberg Beta, Sand Hill Angels, Trinity Ventures||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|GenieBelt||Ditlev Bredahl, Giorgio Ponticelli, Solar||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|Ipsum||Wayra||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|Newforma||Borealis Ventures, Kodiak Venture Partners, North Bridge Venture Partners, Village Ventures||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|NoteVault||West Partners||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|PlanGrid||500 Startups, Base Ventures, Box, Founders Fund, Northgate Capital, Sequoia Capital, Y Combinator||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|think project! International||TA Associates||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|Procore Technologies||Bessemer Venture Partners, Hamilton BioVentures, ICONIQ Capital, Lead Edge Capital, O’Connor Ventures||Collaboration Software – Project and Task Management|
|Blue Ronin (dba Basestone)||Barclays Accelerator, Techstars||Data & Analytics|
|Rhumbix||Brick & Mortar Ventures, Greylock Partners, Ray Levitt, Spectrum 28, UJ Ventures||Data & Analytics|
|Vernox Labs||Y Combinator||Data & Analytics|
|Uptake Technologies||Revolution, Caterpillar, GreatPoint Ventures, Lightbank, New Enterprise Associates||Data & Analytics|
|DotProduct||Intel Capital||Design Technologies|
|Flux Factory||Andreessen Horowitz, Borealis Ventures, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Far East Ventures, Google Ventures||Design Technologies|
|Graitec||Innovation Capital, Isatis Capital||Design Technologies|
|IMERSO||500 Accelerator, StartupLab Catalyst||Design Technologies|
|Onshape||Andreessen Horowitz, Bolt Innovation Group, Commonwealth Capital Ventures, New Enterprise Associates||Design Technologies|
|onTarget||Acceleprise, MetaProp NYC, Peter Hsing, Tom Maloney, Unshackled Ventures||Design Technologies|
|Revizto (dba Vizerra)||Leader-Innovations, Solway Investment Group||Design Technologies|
|Technical Sales International||N/A||Design Technologies|
|Joist||Accomplice, Matrix Partners||Financial Management|
|HoloBuilder||Brick & Mortar Ventures, High-Tech Grunderfonds, Tandem Capital||Frontier Tech & Robotics – AR / VR|
|InsiteVR||CyberAgent Ventures, Greg Castle, GVR Fund, Ralph Gootee, Rothenberg Ventures, Tracy Young, Y Combinator||Frontier Tech & Robotics – AR / VR|
|IrisVR||Azure Capital Partners, Emergence Capital Partners, Morningside Ventures, Techstars||Frontier Tech & Robotics – AR / VR|
|Pandora Augmented & Virtual Reality Technologies||Bluecap, Huseyin Emre Yilmaz||Frontier Tech & Robotics – AR / VR|
|ShilpMIS Technologies||IvyCamp||Frontier Tech & Robotics – AR / VR|
|Sensopia – MagicPlan||Normandy Ventures, Partech Ventures, Tekton Ventures||Frontier Tech & Robotics – AR / VR|
|Scope AR||New Stack Ventures, Susa Ventures, Y Combinator||Frontier Tech & Robotics – AR / VR|
|CBOT||ALMI, Almi Invest, LiU Invest||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Construction Robots|
|Endless Robotics||Avishkar Accelerator, Devidas Desai, Singapore Angel Network||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Construction Robots|
|Construction Robotics||N/A||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Construction Robots|
|Cooper Gray Robotics||N/A||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Construction Robots|
|AirZaar||Missouri Technology Corporation, Quake Capital||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Drones|
|Dronomy||31Ventures, Battery Ventures, Josh Silverman, LocalGlobe, Lool Ventures, Oryzn Capital, Toivo Annus||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Drones|
|Propeller Aerobotics||Accel Partners, Blackbird Ventures, Cicada Innovations, Costanoa Venture Capital, Startmate||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Drones|
|Skycatch||Autodesk Spark Innovation Fund, Google Ventures, Industry Ventures, Qualcomm Ventures||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Drones|
|TraceAir Technologies||500 Accelerator||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Drones|
|Unearth Technologies||John Boswell, John Case||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Drones|
|DroneDeploy||AngelPad, Emergence Capital Partners, Scale Venture Partners, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, Redpoint Ventures||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Drones|
|Airware||Caterpillar Ventures, Intel Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, GE Ventures, First Round Capital, Google Ventures, Y Combinator||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Drones|
|3D Robotics||Atlantic Bridge Capital, Autodesk Forge Fund, Foundry Group, True Ventures, Qualcomm Ventures,Richard Branson, SK Ventures, Two Sigma Ventures||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Drones|
|BetterView||500 Startups, Arena Ventures, Haystack Partners, Metamorphic Ventures, MetaProp, Router Ventures||Frontier Tech & Robotics – Drones|
|Viloc||KPN||Inventory & Supply Chain Management|
|Hyphen Solutions||Perella Weinberg Partners||Inventory & Supply Chain Management|
|SmartEquip||Connecticut Innovations||Inventory & Supply Chain Management|
|Katerra||DFJ Growth Fund, Foxconn Technology Company, Greenoaks Capital Management, Khosla Ventures||Inventory & Supply Chain Management|
|Dozr||Communitech Rev, FairVentures||Marketplaces – Equipment Share|
|EquipmentShare||Ashton Kutcher, FundersClub, Insight Venture Partners, Krillion Ventures, Romulus Capital, Y Combinator||Marketplaces – Equipment Share|
|Equippo||btov Partners||Marketplaces – Equipment Share|
|Getable||Amicus Capital, Andreessen Horowitz, Founder Collective, Lowercase Capital, Social Capital, SV Angel||Marketplaces – Equipment Share|
|Kwipped||Inception Micro Angel Fund, VentureSouth||Marketplaces – Equipment Share|
|Machinio||Elevation Partners, Entrepreneurs Roundtable Accelerator||Marketplaces – Equipment Share|
|VeriTread||N/A||Marketplaces – Equipment Share|
|Buildkar||Mustafa Wajid, Umang Kumar||Marketplaces – Other Marketplaces|
|Builk||500 Accelerator, Project Planning Service||Marketplaces – Other Marketplaces|
|Con-Conn||N/A||Marketplaces – Other Marketplaces|
|OfBusiness||Matrix Partners, Matrix Partners India, Pranay Chulet, Prashant Malik, Rohit MA, Zodius Capital||Marketplaces – Other Marketplaces|
|BuildZoom||8VC, Beenos Partners, Cota Capital, DG Incubation, DV Playground, Formation 8, Founders Fund, Y Combinator||Marketplaces – Other Marketplaces|
|Viirt||Dundee Venture Capital||Marketplaces – Other Marketplaces|
|Swee10 (dba Sweeten)||Gotham Gal Ventures, Great Oaks Venture Capital, Navitas Capital, Overnight Capital||Marketplaces – Other Marketplaces|
|Architizer||Alessandro Piol, AlphaPrime Ventures, August Capital, Gaspar Global Ventures, Joanne Wilson||Marketplaces – Other Marketplaces|
|Work Today||E-MERGE, GAN Ventures, Hone Capital, Mucker Capital, Social Capital||Marketplaces – Other Marketplaces|
|Buildmetric||L-SPARK||Risk Management – Compliance & Security|
|Raken||Eniac Ventures, Rincon Venture Partners, Spider Capital Partners||Risk Management – Compliance & Security|
|Express Lien (dba Zlien)||Abstraction Ventures, Altos Ventures, Brick & Mortar Ventures, Cajun Kiwi Investments, New Orleans Startup Fund||Risk Management – Compliance & Security|
|Biosite Systems||Mobeus Equity Partners||Risk Management – Compliance & Security|
|Capital Construction Solutions||Elmspring Accelerator||Risk Management – Monitoring & Safety|
|Ackcio||Entrepreneur First||Risk Management – Monitoring & Safety|
|BuildSafe||Almi Invest, MOOR, Venture Cup||Risk Management – Monitoring & Safety|
|Einsite||KPCB Edge||Risk Management – Monitoring & Safety|
|FINALCAD||Aster Capital, CapHorn Invest, Serena Capital||Risk Management – Monitoring & Safety|
|Modustri||N/A||Risk Management – Monitoring & Safety|
|Pavia Systems||Eileses Capital||Risk Management – Monitoring & Safety|
|Pillar Technologies||1517 Fund, Anil Jha, Insure.VC, Rough Draft Ventures, Sam Altschuler, Sound Ventures, Techstars||Risk Management – Monitoring & Safety|
|Xlsys Technologies (dba QwikSpec)||N/A||Risk Management – Monitoring & Safety|
|SignOnSite||Sydney Angels||Risk Management – Monitoring & Safety|
|Human Condition Safety||American International Group||Risk Management – Monitoring & Safety|
Want more data on construction tech companies? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity