Given the lofty valuations of Dropbox and Box, venture capitalists remain keen on the data storage industry.
Think Dropbox, Box, and a handful of other players have wrapped up the data storage space? Tell that to venture capitalists who certainly don’t seem to think so. Q2 2012 saw data storage hit a 10 quarter high in terms of deals marking a 119% increase in deal flow over the year ago quarter. On a sequential basis, deals and dollars were up 84% and 134%, respectively.
Since 2010, there have been 195 financing transactions in the storage space with over $1.6 billion having been invested. As the graph below illustrates, the deal activity trend is clearly trending upward.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity