Notable VCs from Accel Partners to Sequoia Capital to Foundation Capital have backed startups providing cloud-based identity & access management solutions. Deal and funding growth to the space have taken off since 2011.
As enterprise organizations rapidly adopt cloud-based applications, IT administrators are shifting from on-premise tools to identify and authenticate their users to those built securely in the cloud. And venture capital investors are betting that cloud-based identity management startups can transform how companies manage their access to data stored by services like Salesforce or Google Apps.
Over the past four quarters, companies providing cloud-based identity and access management solutions have taken in $170M across 24 deals. The largest chunk of that funding has gone to late-stage rounds to larger, more mature players including Okta, which raised a $27M Series D financing from notable investors including Sequoia Capital and Greylock Partners, and rumored IPO candidate Ping Identity, which took $44M in July. As shown in the chart below, both funding and deal activity in the market have jumped over the past two years.
While later-stage rounds are driving funding in the cloud identity management space, over 1/2 of the deals in past eight quarters have come at the Seed or Series A stage. Mid-stage deal activity (Series B & Series C) took nearly 1/3 of cloud identity management deals, including Accel and Foundation Capital-backed ForgeRock, which recently struck a partnership to help launch Salesforce.com’s new identity management service, Salesforce Identity.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity