Two years ago, on November 2, 2013, Aileen Lee published her now-famous post about private company unicorns titled “Welcome to the Unicorn Club,” coining the term that would stick for referring to $1B+ valuation startups. A lot has changed since, and we’ve written quite a lot about the supposedly rare beasts along the way, not to mention launching a real-time unicorn tracker to list all the current unicorns, predicting 50 future unicorns with The New York Times, and hosting a tournament of startup unicorns.
To mark the two-year anniversary, we collected a few data points from the CB Insights unicorn archives:
- The first article we wrote about “unicorns” was actually in November 2013, but it was about “unicorn exits” (companies that exited for $1B or more).
- At the end of 2013 there were 43 unicorns, at year-end 2014 there were 80 unicorns, and currently at the end of October 2015 there are 141 unicorns.
- We wrote about Unicorns 3 times in 2013, 8 times in 2014, and 36 times in 2015.
The full trend in unicorn posts, below.
Below, in reverse chronological order, is the bulk of our research on unicorns since November 2013.
50 Future Unicorns – 8/23/2015
These Investors Are The Best Unicorn Hunters – 7/21/2015
The Periodic Table Of Unicorns – 6/16/2015
How Much Equity Are Unicorns Giving Up? – 3/19/2015
The Exceedingly Rare Unicorn VC – 11/21/2013
Want more Unicorn data? Login to CB Insights or sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity