From commercial moon landings to lab-grown meat, these startups are poised to change how we live.
There’s been a lot of talk about companies building things that don’t have a material impact on the world. This concern has also spread to the venture capital world and its investments.
Peter Thiel of Founders Fund famously criticized the lack of real innovation in VC investing with this motto:
“We wanted flying cars, instead we got 140 characters.”
More recently, Chamath Palihapitiya may have described the problem best when he said:
“And this is the biggest problem with venture capital right now. We have replaced ‘venture’ capital with ‘product-market fit’ capital.”
We used CB Insights data to surface 55 companies that we believe are solving very important and/or big problems, or that are building truly innovative technology. While some of these companies are what many would call “moonshots,” all have admirable goals and are thinking outside the box in order to solve “real” problems.
We call these the CB Insights Game Changers. Ten of these innovative game-changing technologies are included in the infographic below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity