From Waterloo to Vancouver, Canadian tech hubs chalked up a number of significant venture rounds in 2013. In fact, the 10 largest venture capital financings in Canada last year took in over $500 million in aggregate funding. While Canadian venture investors participated in a number of the largest fundings, U.S.-based VC firms from Accel to Insight Venture Partners also poured sizable amounts into Canadian startups in 2013.
The largest Canada-based financing deal of 2013 went to Hootsuite whose $165M Series B was larger than all VC funding into the social media monitoring category between Q2’12 and Q1’13. Hootsuite’s mega round was followed by eCommerce enablement platform Shopify’s $100M Series C round, which propelled the firm into an exclusive group of startups valued at $1B or more.
The table below highlights the diversity of industries represented in the largest VC rounds in Canada, which range from eCommerce to renewables to mobile messaging.
For more Canadian VC financing data and interactive rankings, check out the CB Insights Venture Capital Database. Sign up for free below.
This report was created with data from CB Insights’ emerging technology insights platform, which offers clarity into emerging tech and new business strategies through tools like:
- Earnings Transcripts Search Engine & Analytics to get an information edge on competitors’ and incumbents’ strategies
- Patent Analytics to see where innovation is happening next
- Company Mosaic Scores to evaluate startup health, based on our National Science Foundation-backed algorithm
- Business Relationships to quickly see a company’s competitors, partners, and more
- Market Sizing Tools to visualize market growth and spot the next big opportunity